International youth exchange „Sport Unites, Racism Divides“ brought together 38 youngsters from 7 different countries to Estonia. Project took place in Taevaskoja, Estonia on September 4th till 14th, 2017. Participants came from Estonia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece, Italy, Spain and Turkey. Participants have an important message – Sports help to overcome differences!
The refugee crisis in Europe has increased the discussions about racism, because refugees, who are running from war zones to Europe are found difficult to integrate into the European society due to the intolerance of the local population. Young people are heavily influenced by their parents' opinions, and so there will be a so-called vicious circle of intolerance, which will continue endlessly.
During the project participants discussed what is discrimination, what is racism, how to behave in a rasist situation, what are tolerance, empahty and nonviolent communication. Also participants discovered how games and sport help to unite people and create a unity between different cultures.
Project "Sport Unites, Racism Divide" was expected:
- To increase awareness of what is racism and what are the consequences of racist activities.
- To find activities which support the growth of tolerance.
- To find solutions on how to behave in a racist situsion.
- To analyze how the sport has helped people connect and find good examples of possible solutions, which be used in our everyday lives and in our communities.
- To improve positive attitude towards others and in participants towards themselves.
- The promotion of mutual cooperation and thereby teamwork skills.
After spending 10 days together working on the idea that sport unites and racism divides, participants created the video, which carries the import message – „Sport can unite everyone“
Project was funded from Erasmus+ Estonian National Agency (SANA).
Project was organised by Noorte Ettevõtlikkuse Arendamise Ühing (Youth Entrepreneurship Development Association) which is a non-profit organization established in early 2014, aimed at the youth entrepreneurship development and support of the after school and work activities (including international youth projects).
U2 – Every Breaking Wave
Album: Songs of Innocence
Compilation Generique TV – Benny Hill